Thursday, April 4, 2013

Everything looks perfect when you lie

5 months - April 2013


I was watching the Today Show this morning and an author was being interviewed about her book.
The title: Everything is perfect when you're a liar. I zoned out during the interview so I have no idea what the book is about, but I kept running the title through my head all day. With Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, we now have the ability to create the perfect life that we want.

We can make people believe that our house is always clean, that are meals are always homemade, that our children are perfect, that we read bible verses all day, that our husbands or wives are the most amazing people to walk this planet, that we buy expensive things and have tons of perfect supportive friends. We take exotic family vacations and "checkin" to church and fancy restaurants.

No one wants to post or read about imperfect people. We all scroll past the negative status updates from "Debbie Downers". But why do we have to tell people about our perfect family vacation or constantly post religious quotes for all to see?

The posts don't bother me as much as the lies. We are no different than the Pharisees, but use social media to post for all to see. Are we really living the Christlike life we want people to think we live?


We shouldn't be living for this world at all. We shouldn't be trying to impress our facebook friends with our knowledge.

We need to take up our cross...and follow Jesus...for whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?

I guess it's just bothering me lately when I know the truth about people yet their posts say something different. I'm guilty of this, too. I want to be the person that doesn't have to post religious things for people to think I'm a Christian. I want people to know I am one by the way I act and love others. I have a long way to go before I get to that point.



No comments:

Post a Comment